Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wednesday Weigh-in

Well, as I have previously posted...Wednesdays are my day to "weigh-in".  Today, I am posting about the book I am reading called Made to Crave,  by Lysa TerKeurst.

First, let me give you a little insight to the reason I chose to read the book Made to Crave.  After the birth of my son Logan, I have been slowly working toward getting my life back to ordinary. Well, as much as you can with a very active child running around the house.  Logan, is one of the best blessings I could ever know, however, his presence in our family has completely turned my life upside-down.  I expected this to a certain degree but I have to admit, I was blindsided by the change that took place in our lives after his arrival.

As a result of the major change, I feel like I've lost complete sight of who I am as a person, which has led to some tough moments for me, and for Joe and I as a couple.  One of the things that continually plagues me is this feeling of being uncomfortable in my own skin.  I just don't feel like myself.  I was (and still am) unhappy with the extra padding filling my clothes.  I despise the "I just had a baby" loose skin that found its way to my midsection.  And let's be honest here..."the girls," just aren't the same!

It is for these and several other reasons that I began searching for something that would give me a little boost.  So, I ordered the book.  And it was delivered to my house.  And it sat for months collecting dust. Eventually, I began reading it and let me just tell you, IT IS GREAT!  Not because I have lost a ton of weight and am now perfect, but because Lysa has revealed some truths that have been so healing for me.

Here is where I weigh-in...

In the book, Lysa emphasizes that "we are made for more because we are children of God."

Through this Made to Crave journey, God has revealed to me that I am identifying myself not by my relationship with Him but by my circumstances.  Below is the helpful exercise I did in the book that slapped me upside the head.

Here is how I see myself...
Meghan, a girl with a lumpy, saggy, frumpy body.
Meghan, a has-been, who can't handle anything that comes her way.
Meghan, a girl who uses sarcasm to avoid being vulnerable.
Meghan, a girl who must not be good enough for her husband if her mom wasn't good enough for her Dad.
And the list goes on...

BUT, God sees...
Meghan, the loved child of God. (Ephesians 1:4)
Meghan, the set-free child of God. (Romans 8:1-2)
Meghan, the forgiven child of God. (Romans 3:24)
Meghan, the confident child of God. (Ephesians 3:12)
Meghan, the accepted child of God. (1 Corinthians 1:2)

Isaiah 45:23 says;  "I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron.  I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name."


This is what I learned: God will fight for me if I let him!  That is all I needed to hear at this point in time.

I am loving this study and I hope that others will love it too!  Connect Groups begin on October 2nd and Made to Crave, will meet on Sunday mornings from 9am-10am, at Judson Church.  Please consider joining our group.  If you can't join or don't think it is for you, please pray for the women who will join.

4 comments:

  1. Meghan, I flippin' love your honesty here! Thanks for the identity reminder. BTW, you are incredibly gorgeous :)

    Love,
    Joy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joy! You are sweet. Miss my singing soul mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and am so proud of you. You are an amazing woman. Thanks for being real and letting God's light shine through. Continue on, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. love you too mom! most of my inspiration comes from you mommy!

    ReplyDelete